Tuesday, February 13, 2018

The Only Good Stink Bug . . .

I've started making close-up photos using photo stacking.  Photo stacking is a process of taking multiple shots of the same image, each with the focus at a different depth into the image, then combining them in special software to extend the depth of field.  When making extreme close-ups, this is a valuable technique to get an entire image in sharp focus.  To make the image below, I used a mechanical device known as a Stackshot, which moves the camera in tiny increments of distance so an entire image is in sharp focus.  In this case, I made 10 photos and combined them in the Helicon Focus software before importing it back into Lightroom for editing.  This was my first attempt at focus stacking, but I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.  You can judge for yourself.
Dead stink bug.  Nikon 105mm f/2.8 lens, 1 sec., f/16, ISO 100, 10 stacked images combined in Helicon Focus.
Focus stacking is not without its problems.  It's important to be sure the depth of field from each image you make overlaps the ones preceding and following it, otherwise you'll have bands of unsharpness scattered throughout the final photo.  I discovered this when trying to make a lengthwise photo of a different insect.  But there are solutions to these issues, as I am finding out through trial and error.  I plan to report on my progress in future postings.

Norm

No comments:

Post a Comment